Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reindeer Cookies

One of the great things about being a Mom is that I can tell the boys that we are going to make Reindeer cookies and they don't bat an eye - their faces light up in sheer excitement.  They have no doubt what-so-ever that there will be edible cookies that look like reindeer.  And whether they turn out picture perfect, or nothing at all like they were supposed to (see below... :)) they still think they are absolutely perfect and awesome.  And even more so because *we* made them.  It just melts my heart.

Connor was over the moon to be able to "help" me make the cookies.  Even if that meant pulling pre-made store bought cookie dough right out of the package.  The dough was a bit sticky so I pulled out pieces, rolled them into balls, shaped them a little, and then let Connor help me smush them.  He also helped me match up potential eyes and count out enough for all our cookies.




Once we had them all rolled out and our face making supplies ready to go we popped them into the oven and cooked them.


Ryan came over to help me finish counting out antlers and to keep an eye on the cookies in the oven.  Cookies that were puffing up, rising and then spreading like crazy.  By the time they were done cooking they had pretty much mushed into one giant clump.


We went ahead and popped the eyes, noses and antlers in.  You really have to work fast.  I had started trying to separate the cookies and move them off to another sheet to dry, but no sooner had I moved one than I realized that I had waited too long and that it was already pretty much set.  So I worked fast instead popping the eyes, noses, and antlers on.


After dinner the boys took great delight in maiming the cookies by plucking out the eyes and noses before even considering eating the cookie.


While they turned out nothing at all like they were supposed to (umm... smaller balls much more spread out on a cookie sheet!?!?) we still really enjoyed devouring them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...